Letter to PM Justin Trudeau re Indigenous Rights and Reconciliation Feb 2020
A BIG THANK YOU
from the UCW for supporting our Soup Luncheon last Sunday. You donated over $3200.00 to the Jessica Martel Memorial Foundation. For more information on this foundation please click on the following link:
To review the latest financial report please click on the following link:
Click on the following link for the Affirming Newsletter for January:
MONTHLY SERVICE SCHEDULE FOR CARE HOMES
- Youville 1st Wednesday 11:00 a.m.
- St. Albert Retirement 2nd Wednesday 10:30 a.m.
- Chartwell 3rd Thursday 10:30 a.m.
- Citadel 4th Tuesday 10:30 a.m.
- River Ridge 4th Thursday 10:00 a.m.
February 1 – 29, 2020
Elsa Robinson and John Kayinamura, in collaboration with Reez Community Foundation.
Love thy Neighbour teaches us to foster compassion, while also exploring the history of racism and racialization in society.
Art Gallery of St. Albert
19 Perron Street
St. Albert, AB T8N 1E5
For more information and times, please call or email:
“NO WOMAN WITHOUT. PERIOD”
The month of February is the campaign time for “No Woman
Without. Period.” This campaign collects sanitary supplies for
local women’s shelters. You can donate tampons (any kind, any
brand), maxi pads, panty liners, feminine treatment products or
packaged underwear. You can bring items to me, Holly Parker,
on Sundays at church or drop off the supplies at my office: St.
Albert Vision Centre, 3520 Tudor Glen Market – by Saturday
February 29. If you don’t want to shop for sanitary supplies, I
will accept cash donations and shop on your behalf.
SHROVE TUESDAY PANCAKE SUPPER
February 25 – 5 – 7 PM.
Best meal in town! Freewill Offering. Tell your friends!
Gluten-free pancakes will be available.
If you can help out, the signup sheet is in the narthex.
As of March1, 2020 the UCW will no longer have assigned months for Sunday coffee preparation. This will now be a total congregation participation. Instructions are available below the sign up roster. Please sign up as you are able. At least two people are required to make the coffee, tea, juice and set up the tables each Sunday. A third person just makes it easier for all.
Sundays when there is no one or only one volunteer, coffee will not be served.
From coordinators: Bobbee & Laureen
Tickets: $10.00 each
The event of the evening will start with a
- welcome dance by our children from the Africans & African Descendants
- Friendship Club of St Albert.
- Story telling by Tololwa Mollel.
- Girls-Got-Moves Dance Performance
- Trincan steel Orchestra will perform on steel drums
- Knotty_musings – Poetry
- Lenore Mitchel-Arm chair travel various countries of Africa
- Fashion Parade from all countries and tribe in our group.
- Interactive Afro-latino dance by La Connexional
- Food Tasting in the Progress Hall.
Sponsors are welcomed. Call 780-850-0978 or email
Date and Time
Saturday, February 29, 2020
4:00 PM – 7:00 PM MST
5 St Anne St.
St. Albert, AB T8N 3Z9
You are invited to attend our
FREE UPSIDE OF RIGHTSIZING YOUR LIFE!
Are you or your parents ready to downsize the family home but feel overwhelmed or in tears and don’t know where to start? Are you or your parents ready to downsize but need a plan of action to get started? THIS SESSION IS FOR YOU!!
Choose one of these session dates:
Sat, Feb 29 / Wed, Mar 17 / Sun, Mar 22
All sessions are at 2:00 p.m.
Karen Bodoano, Expert in Senior Moving and 1st Certified Move Manager in Western Canada.
Please call Angie:
Or email at:
To reserve your spot!
St. Albert Retirement Residence
125 Everitt Drive N.
St. Albert, Alberta
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO LOVE OUR NEIGHBOUR: A COMMUNITY EXPLORATION
Program Purpose Through the spring/summer of 2019 Rev. Mervin Gallant was on sabbatical meeting with a variety of marginalized community groups. Through these conversations it became clear that to be supportive of these neighbours in our community we need to get to know their stories and build relationships. Come hear the stories of a different group of folks each week, ask your questions, join in a discussion of how we can be more supportive neighbours to each other.
Upcoming Date: Wednesday, March 4, 2020
Where: SAUC Sanctuary
When: 7:00 – 8:30PM
Theme: Elder Abuse Presenting Group: SAIF Society of St Albert
One of the things SAIF has been working on this year, is looking to build community resiliency around the issue of Elder Abuse. SAIF funding was cut effective Jan 1 2020 and so SAIF has been working diligently to help create tools for the community when dealing with Elder Abuse for when they can’t call SAIF any longer to help them:
Our topics will be
- what is Elder Abuse?
- what can you do when you suspect a loved one is being abused?
- what are the steps to take with regards to different types of elder abuse?
- we’ll share some success stories
CELEBRATE NATIONAL AFFIRMING / PIE DAY
Join us for our National Affirming/PIE Day Event!
March 15 – 11:30 a.m. – SAUC Sanctuary
- View a Video that explains PIE day and the importance of being Public; Intentional; and Explicit (P.I.E.) about our commitment to be an Affirming congregation.
- Hear from a community panel about how we most effectively share our PIE! (Panel members: Chris Wells; Mia Soetart; Jed Johns; and Evelyn Porter)
- Participate in community discussion!
- Savor a meal of meat pies; quiche; and fruit pies!!!
ST. PATRICK’S DAY DINNER
March 15, 2020 – $30 per adult & $15 per child under 12 years of age
- Beer, Wine & Baileys will be available for $6 each.
St. Albert United Church
- Doors open at 5:00 p.m.
- Dinner will be at 5:30 p.m.
- The Irish Dancers are back and ready to entertain us once again!
- Tickets will be available on Sunday mornings before & after church. You will
also be able to purchase tickets from Laurie at the church office.
- There may be a prize for the best Irish outfit!!
Irish Beef Stew, Roast Chicken, Mixed Veggies, Caesar Salad, Layered Taco
Salad, Pickles, Cheese, Desserts, Coffee & Tea
SPRING CONCERT FEATURING DONNA GRAHAM
Sunday, March 29 – 3:00 to 4:00 p.m.
Come and listen to Donna and guests play the organ and piano.
Admission – $20 – Proceeds to be determined.
May 3rd in the Sanctuary after church
Donna will be playing those old hymns you love. Join her after church to sing-a-long.
A WHISPER IN YOUR EAR…
Harvest dinner, harvest dinner, harvest dinner 2020
Just a quick reminder that if the congregation wish to continue holding the harvest dinner this year, a team needs to be pulled together soon in order to coordinate and secure the various bookings and dates which are needed for this event.
The early bird catches the worm!
One more point: I have two names that can be looked at for entertainment if indeed this event goes forward again.
NOTE: Just a reminder that in my report from 2019 I stepped back from this event due to taking on another commitment.
GRANDMOTHERS FABRIC SALE
The local Grandmother group is collecting fabric (min 1/2m) notions and yarn for their sale.
Please see Laureen Wright, Marilyn McSporran, Kay Douglas or Ann Sargent if you have something to donate.
We will accept donations until March 31st.